Monday, December 20, 2010

My Megabus experience from Knoxville to D.C.

My Megabus experience from Knoxville to D.C. wasn't what I expected. Except for comfortable seats and a bathroom I expected this to be much like the school bus rides of my youth. You know, where you got picked up  and dropped off relatively close to schedule. The reality proved to be much different. (Note: This trip was in December 2010. I have an updated post here.)

No Megabus yet.
The Meagbus from Knoxville to D.C. run is a new one for the company. I was prepared to cut them some slack. After all, it was opening weekend. Actors rehearse for weeks to perfect a new play. There are always a few glitches to be worked through on opening night. That's pretty much how it went with the new bus service.

We pulled onto street parking with our seat confirmations in hand. The brightly colored Meagbus was at the curb waiting to pull out. So, pull out it did. We watched the bus leave as we were getting out of the truck. It was 10:00 p.m. our scheduled departure was 10:30 p m.

It took several minutes to talk with someone at Megabus (877.GO2MEGA.)  The representative assured me that the bus would be right back. My younger daughter and I waited with a group of others until after midnight for a bus that never came.

Still no Megabus. 
A fellow passenger saw me take a photo of my daughters phone and offered to let me use his. (Let me say a thank  you shoutout to him.)

Note the temperature and time? Still no Megabus from Knoxville to D.C. Did I mention that the Knoxville Area Transit Center closes at 11:00p.m.? We were standing outside. The KAT center closed at 11:30p.m. Megabus customer service closes at 11:00 p.m. Still no bus.

Empty Megabus spot.
The cherry that capped the ice cream sundae happened when snowflakes began to fall.

That's when we all decided to leave. The Knoxville to D.C. route was looking more like a megabust than a Megabus. Little did I know that my stress level would soon increase.<next...>


  1. Today is Friday the 14th, October 2011. Went to catch Megabus at 10:30pm--- got message from Megabus that bus will be 1 and 1/2 hour late. We wait until midnight-- then until 2am. No more messages and no bus ever turns up. Many of us left. We call customer service and of course it is closed. We are in the cold and people start to leave. I'm just glad I had a ride- one of the few people who did. Megabus completely failed us here and my travel connections are ruined.
    Big let down.

  2. Thank you for letting me know. I will phone Megabus to see what riders can and should do.