Monday, April 23, 2012

St Andrews Center in Chattanooga now on historic register

Congratulations to St Andrews Center in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It's building, the Highland Park Methodist Episcopal Church, is now on the National Register of Historic Places. This is a big achievement. Tourists who are history buffs will want to put this Chattanooga Church on the top of the list of things to see and do.

Construction of the Highland Park Methodist Episcopal Church, South began in 1907. It took nine years to complete this neoclassical structure in Chattanooga. The construction end date was 1916. Soon afterward, the need for more space became apparent. Soon An annex for Sunday School class space was added in 1924.

In 1939, the name of the Highland Park Methodist Episcopal Church was changed to St. Andrews United Methodist Church. Later on, this became what is now known as the St. Andrews Center and is now the base of operations for Chattanooga outreach ministries. More about the programs are available online.

Some highlights of the building are the architecture, original stained glass windows, stone foundation and the main Akron Style sanctuary. At the time the building was constructed the architectural style was virtually unheard of in Chattanooga. For this and other reasons, it has earned its spot on the National Register of Historic Places.

The building is in the downtown Chattanooga area not far from Tennessee Temple University. The address for the St Andrews Center (Highland Park Methodist Episcopal Church) is 1918 Union Avenue, Chattanooga, TN 37404.

Our look at the Chattanooga Wedding Chapel

Acropolis Restaurant Greek Food in Chattanooga, TN

Chattanooga Megabus stop has moved